29 January, 2010

Tapey the Grappling Dummy part 1

After about 6 months with no roll. I decided that I was going to hire someone to take a tumble with. It was totally legit and consensual. I was going to buy a grappling dummy.
If you google "grappling dummy" a couple good products show up.
The Submission Master, Bubba and the Bubba II.
I loved the idea of a dummy. Train any time, get a ton of repetitions in, and you have a partner that didn't care that about the hundreds of armbars, leg locks and chokes going on.
I wasn't sure that I liked the price though.

A little more investigating brought me to a couple DIY projects to make a homemade grappling dummy. I found some good examples: el jefe and another example that I used as a template to build one.
My kids thought building a dummy would be "awesome". My wife - not so much.

Below is part 1 of the dummy chronicles.


Heavy gauge wire. See the mop head there as well.

I got a ton of duct tape and had some wood dowel left over from my home made nunchucku project.

Foam from a memory foam mattress.



I also used some PVC pipe, some bungee cord.
Next putting it all together....


1 comment:

  1. I am in the process of putting one of these together. any picture of the final product? i found a pretty good one at

    http://fullcontactevents.com/Article/Homemade_Grappling_Dummy.article

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Attention Deficit Dad with as many interests as days in the year. You can't hold me back and you can only hope to contain me!